Work From Home Jobs: The Ultimate Guide to Becoming a Remote Freelance Writer
Over the past few months, we’ve received so many messages from women all across the world in search of online freedom, an additional stream of income, and a work from home career that they’re truly passionate about.
We’ve received questions like:
How can I make money online? How do I turn the skills I already have into an online business? What services can I offer online and how do I offer them? What tools do I need to run an online business?
Those are all ahhmazing questions, but there isn’t just one catch-all answer! There are SO many different routes you can take to start an online business as well as endless possibilities and opportunities!
If you hadn’t noticed yet, we are in the midst of a remote work revolution, and we couldn’t be more excited to stand beside you as you pursue your work from home dreams and the work-life balance lifestyle that you desire.
So, to help you and the incredible women of our community, we’ve created an incredible round-up series featuring different routes you can take to become an online business owner or freelancer! From writers and graphic designers to virtual assistants and social media managers, we’re diving deep into how you can turn your passions into a successful online business!
Our mission has always been to empower women to chase after their entrepreneurial dreams – and now more than ever, it’s time that we help you turn your dreams into a reality.
So without further ado, here is your ultimate guide for becoming a remote freelance writer!
What is Freelance Writing + Is it For Me?
Freelance writers are independent business owners who write for clients and are paid per writing assignment or batch of assignments. They can choose to have several different smaller clients or just one or two large clients with steady ongoing work!
Freelance writers are not employees and have the freedom to work from wherever they want, whenever they want, and however they want! From fashion or wellness to farming or travel, freelance writers are needed in every type of industry!
Sounds great, right?! But I’m sure you’re wondering if freelance writing is for you! Here are a few questions to ask yourself:
- Are you willing to put in the work to network and pitch clients?
- Do you desire the freedom to set your own schedule and work from wherever you want?
- Do you enjoy writing?
- Are you adaptable and flexible?
- Are you self-disciplined?
- Do you long to be your own boss?
If you answered yes to all of the above, then you’re on the right path, love! And don’t worry if you don’t have a formal degree or previous work experience in writing — That’s the beauty of freelance! If you have the skills, are willing to put in the work, and are passionate about writing, you can absolutely become a freelance writer! And don’t let anything or anyone get in your way or tell you otherwise 😉
“Take the risk and make the commitment. The longer you wait, the longer it’ll take.” — BB Academy Student Kate Baker (Social Media Content Writer)
Freelance Writing Services You Can Offer
Now that you’ve discovered freelance writing is the perfect fit, it’s time to figure out what type of freelance writer you’d like to be. In other words, start thinking about what services you want to offer! There are ENDLESS possibilities in the world of freelance writing!
Here are just a few examples of services you could offer:
- Blog Post Writing
- Email Newsletter Writing
- Social Media Content Creation
- Website Copywriting
- Press Release Writing
- Business Plan Writing
- E-Commerce Writing (think product descriptions, category pages, etc.)
- Magazine Article Writing
If there are a handful of services you would love to offer, think about creating various packages that you could offer to your potential clients.
For example, a potential client is needing a website copywriter, but they likely also have a blog and social media platforms that need maintained. So, you could offer a package that includes website copywriting, blog writing, and social media content creation!
Don’t let choosing your services get in the way of launching this dream of yours. You can always switch it up, go a different route, or play around with your packages! As you get more experience under your belt, you’ll learn what you are truly passionate about along the way! 😉
“I help B2B companies convert leads into clients through marketing strategy, proposal writing, and sales content creation!” — BB Academy Student Demi Utley (Proposal & Sales Content Writer)
Finding Freelance Writing Jobs
Oftentimes, new freelance writers are so excited to start landing clients and get to workin’ that they work for anyone who is willing to pay them. However, this often leads to working on projects that you don’t believe in, clients who don’t align with your values, and creating sub-par work.
So, before you start searching for freelance writing jobs, it’s so important that you take the time to evaluate your target market! Think about who your ideal clients are: How old are they? What industry do they work in? What values do they have? Where is their business located? Have they worked with freelancers before?
Once you figure out who your ideal clients are, start attracting them! When you’re just starting out as a freelance writer, the best way to do this is by having a writing portfolio that showcases your writing skills! Think about starting a blog, building a website with a portfolio of your writing work, or gathering testimonials from people who know or have utilized your skills. To attract and land your ideal clients, you need to be able to prove that you have the skills they are looking for!
“It’s all about being real, staying authentic, and putting your unique voice out there. Someone needs exactly what you’re offering!” –– BB Academy Student Nicole Sifers (Blog, Web Copy, Email Newsletter & Social Media Content Writer)
After you’ve figured out how you’re going to attract your ideal clients, it’s time to actually start looking for them! And remember — Your ideal clients aren’t just going to magically stumble across your portfolio, blog, or Instagram (no matter how beautiful they are!). You have to be proactive and pursue them!
Here are a few great places to find clients:
- The Bucketlist Bombshells Community Facebook Group
- Freelancing Females Facebook Group
- Your local community businesses
- Friends + Family
Most importantly, when it comes to finding freelance writing jobs, believe in yourself and what you have to offer, be confident and ambitious, and remember what your time and skills are worth.
Wondering how much money you can make as a freelance writer, struggling to confidently pitch clients, not sure how to set your hourly rate? Don’t you worry, love! Here are a few tips and tricks:
- The One Thing You’re Not Doing In Your Pitches
- 5 Simple Steps To Start A Freelancing Side-Hustle Online
- 3 Surprising Things That Are Holding You Back From Landing Your First Client
- 10 Simple Tips For Boosting Your Confidence As A Newbie Freelancer
- How To Conquer Your Financial Fears Of Building An Online Business
“By tying in design and SEO with on-brand copy, I’m able to produce content that doesn’t just sound good, but also looks good and advances my clients’ businesses! –– BB Academy Student Kira Matthes (Copywriter, Designer, and SEO strategist)
Freelance Writing Tools
One of the greatest things about freelance writing is that you don’t need much to get started. Plus, the cost of being a freelance writer is SO minimal! Here are some of the best tools we recommend for freelance writers (and most of them are totally free!):
- Asana for task management
- Airtable for content calendar creation
- Zoom for client meetings
- Evernote for client meeting notes
- Toggl for time tracking
- PayPal or Wave for invoicing
- Google Docs for writing and sharing client content
- Grammarly for grammar and spell checking
- OneLook Dictionary Search for word choice improvement
- Haute Stock for stock photos
- Dropbox for photo storage
Freelance Writing Books:
- The Best Punctuation Book, Period: A Comprehensive Guide for Every Writer, Editor, Student, and Businessperson
- McGraw-Hill’s Proofreading Handbook
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life
- Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content
- The Content Code: Six essential strategies to ignite your content, your marketing, and your business
- Creative Confidence: Unleashing the Creative Potential Within Us All
“Ask for what you want, and work hard to make it happen!” — BB Academy Student Chelsey Walker (Blog, Email Newsletter & Social Media Content Writer)
If you have a passion for writing, are ready to be your own boss, and are longing to join the remote work revolution, now is the time to start pursuing your dreams and create the lifestyle you’ve been dreaming of!
Select your services, set your target market, and start pitching clients. You’re going to be an amazing freelance writer, love! You’ve got this! 😉
Looking to learn from our students who have made the transition to becoming freelance writers? Check out their incredibly inspiring stories:
- Nicole Sifers: Blog writer, website copywriter, email copywriter, and social media content creator
- Kira Matthes: Copywriter and SEO strategist
- Demi Utley: Sales writer, proposal writer, and marketer
- Chelsey Walker: Blog writer, email marketer, social media manager, and graphic designer
- Savannah Hickey: Social media manager
- Lauren Taylar: SEO strategist, website designer, and brand designer
- Kellie Daniel: Social media manager and brand designer
- Kate Baker: Social media manager
3 Steps To Building A Wildly Successfull Service-Based Online Business
3 Steps To Building A Wildly Successfull Service-Based Online Business
Meet The Bucketlist Bombshells
Hey! We're Cassie & Shay - we're obsessed with helping women build an online service-based business giving them the freedom to travel the world!
Today, we’re sitting down with BB student Marion, Founder of Modali Branding! Join us as she...
We’re Cassie & Shay
– we’re obsessed with helping women build an online service-based business giving them the freedom to travel the world!