Over the past few months, we’ve received so many messages from women all across the world in search of online freedom, an additional stream of income, and a work from home career that they’re truly passionate about.
We’ve received questions like:
How can I make money online? How do I turn the skills I already have into an online business? What services can I offer online and how do I offer them? What tools do I need to run an online business?
Those are all ahhmazing questions, but there isn’t just one catch-all answer! There are SO many different routes you can take to start an online business as well as endless possibilities and opportunities!
If you hadn’t noticed yet, we are in the midst of a remote work revolution, and we couldn’t be more excited to stand beside you as you pursue your work from home dreams and the work-life balance lifestyle that you desire.
So, to help you and the incredible women of our community, we’ve created an incredible round-up series featuring different routes you can take to become an online business owner or freelancer! From writers and graphic designers to virtual assistants and social media managers, we’re diving deep into how you can turn your passions into a successful online business!
Our mission has always been to empower women to chase after their entrepreneurial dreams – and now more than ever, it’s time that we help you turn your dreams into a reality.
So without further ado, here is your ultimate guide for becoming a remote freelance virtual assistant!
What is Freelance Virtual Assistance + Is it For Me?
Freelance virtual assistants are independent business owners who provide a wide variety of support services to online businesses remotely. They can choose to have several different smaller clients or just one or two large clients with steady ongoing work!
Freelance virtual assistants are not employees and have the freedom to work from wherever they want, whenever they want, and however they want! From fashion or wellness to farming or travel, freelance virtual assistants are needed in every type of industry!
Sounds great, right?! But I’m sure you’re wondering if freelance virtual assistance is for you! Here are a few questions to ask yourself:
- Are you willing to put in the work to network and pitch clients?
- Do you desire the freedom to set your own schedule and work from wherever you want?
- Are you extremely organized?
- Do you enjoy sequences, patterns, and strategies?
- Are you adaptable and flexible?
- Are you self-disciplined?
- Do you long to be your own boss?
If you answered yes to all of the above, then you’re on the right path, love! And don’t worry if you don’t have a formal degree or previous work experience in business administration or support services — That’s the beauty of freelance! If you have the skills, are willing to put in the work, and are passionate about supportive work, you can absolutely become a freelance virtual assistant! And don’t let anything or anyone get in your way or tell you otherwise 😉
Want to learn the top virtual assistant skills that clients are hiring for online so you can work remotely from home? Check out The Tech Skills Course!
“I longed for the freedom to travel while working online.” — BB Academy Student Shayah Muller (Website Design, Email Marketing, and Social Media Management)
Freelance Virtual Assistant Services You Can Offer
Now that you’ve discovered freelance virtual assistance is the perfect fit, it’s time to figure out what type of freelance virtual assistant you’d like to be. In other words, start thinking about what services you want to offer! There are ENDLESS possibilities in the world of freelance virtual assistance!
Here are just a few examples of services you could offer:
- Project Management
- Social Media Management
- Website Design
- Website Maintenance
- Blog Management
- Podcast Management
- Client Management
- Course Setup
- Launch Support
- Email Marketing Management
- Landing Page Creation
- Appointment Scheduling
- Sales Page Setup
- Checkout Page Integration
- Online Webinar Setup
- Customer Service
- Data Entry
If there are a handful of services you would love to offer, think about creating various packages that you could offer to your potential clients.
For example, a potential client is needing someone to help with website maintenance, but they likely have a blog and clients that also need to be managed. So, you could offer a package that includes website maintenance, blog management, and client management!
Don’t let choosing your services get in the way of launching this dream of yours. You can always switch it up, go a different route, or play around with your packages! As you get more experience under your belt, you’ll learn what you are truly passionate about along the way! 😉
Want to learn the top virtual assistant skills that clients are hiring for online so you can remotely from home? Check out The Tech Skills Course!
“I purposely worked with clients who needed all different services in the beginning. Once I discovered what I really loved to do, I slowly transitioned into offering just those services!”
— BB Academy Student Chynna Benton (Pinterest Management, Business Strategy, Client Management, Content Management, Graphic Design, Virtual Assistant Mentoring)
Finding Freelance Virtual Assistant Jobs
Oftentimes, new freelance virtual assistants are so excited to start landing clients and get to workin’ that they work for anyone who is willing to pay them. However, this often leads to working on projects that you don’t believe in, clients who don’t align with your values, and creating sub-par work.
So, before you start searching for freelance virtual assistant jobs, it’s so important that you take the time to evaluate your target market! Think about who your ideal clients are: What industry do they work in? What values do they have? Where is their business located? Have they worked with freelancers before?
Once you figure out who your ideal clients are, start attracting them! When you’re just starting out as a freelance virtual assistant, the best way to do this is by having a portfolio that showcases your skills! Think about starting a blog sharing your expertise, building a website with a portfolio of your best work, or gathering testimonials from people who know or have utilized your skills. To attract and land your ideal clients, you need to be able to prove that you have the skills they are looking for!
“In my first week, I landed two clients and worked with them for about six months!” –– BB Academy Student Abby Sealby (Online Course Setup, Product Launch Support & Tech Support)
After you’ve figured out how you’re going to attract your ideal clients, it’s time to actually start looking for them! And remember — Your ideal clients aren’t just going to magically stumble across your portfolio, website, or Instagram (no matter how beautiful they are!). You have to be proactive and pursue them!
Here are a few great places to find virtual assistant clients:
- The Bucketlist Bombshells Community Facebook Group
- Freelancing Females Facebook Group
- Engaging on Instagram
- Your local community businesses
- Friends + Family
Most importantly, when it comes to finding freelance virtual assistant jobs, believe in yourself and what you have to offer, be confident and ambitious, and remember what your time and skills are worth.
Wondering how much money you can make as a freelance virtual assistant, struggling to confidently pitch clients, not sure how to set your hourly rate? Don’t you worry, love! Here are a few tips and tricks:
- The One Thing You’re Not Doing In Your Pitches
- 5 Simple Steps To Start A Freelancing Side-Hustle Online
- 3 Surprising Things That Are Holding You Back From Landing Your First Client
- 10 Simple Tips For Boosting Your Confidence As A Newbie Freelancer
- How To Conquer Your Financial Fears Of Building An Online Business
Want a step-by-step walkthrough of how to rock the freelancing world, define your hourly rate, write killer proposals, and land clients? In need of swipe copy, templates, and checklists that are proven to work? Check out The Work Online & Travel the World Course!
“Now that I’m more established, most of my clients are working with me long term and any new inquiries are through referrals and word of mouth!” — BB Academy Student Steff Ho (Project Management, Social Media Strategy & Management, Website Maintenance & Blog Management)
Freelance Virtual Assistant Tools
One of the greatest things about freelance virtual assistance is that you don’t need much to get started. Plus, the cost of being a freelance virtual assistant is SO minimal! Here are some of the best tools we recommend for freelance virtual assistants:
- Asana for task management
- Zoom for client meetings
- Evernote for client meeting notes
- Loom for screen sharing
- Toggl for time tracking
- PayPal or Wave for invoicing
Virtual Assistance Tools:
- Google Workspace for file storage and sharing
- Canva for designing
- Haute Stock & Pixistock for stock photos
- Dropbox for photo and graphic storage
- Calendly for online booking calendar management
- Tailwind, Later & Hootsuite for social media management
- MailChimp & ConvertKit for email marketing management
- EasyWebinar for online webinar setup
- Leadpages for landing, opt-in, and sales page creation
- SamCart for checkout page creation
Books for Every Freelance Virtual Assistant:
- Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear
- Profit First: Transform Your Business from a Cash-Eating Monster to a Money-Making Machine
- Everything Is Figureoutable
- Clockwork: Design Your Business to Run Itself
- You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
- Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
- Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
- High Performance Habits: How Extraordinary People Become That Way
- What If It Does Work Out?: How a Side Hustle Can Change Your Life
- Outliers: The Story of Success
Want to learn the ins and outs of creating landing, opt-in, and sales pages like a pro? Need a step-by-step walkthrough of how to manage social media accounts, WordPress blogs, email marketing campaigns, and online booking calendars? Check out The Tech Skills Course!
“Stop listening to what other people say. If you want it, go and get it!” –– Tech Skills Course Student Naomi Dzunic (Social Media Management, Client Management, Podcast Management, and Pinterest Management)
Get Inspired by Freelance Virtual Assistants
Looking to learn from our students who have made the transition to becoming freelance virtual assistants? Check out their incredibly inspiring stories:
- Steff from New Zealand – From Conservation Technician to Virtual Assistant: How One Female Founder Landed Her Ultimate Dream Client
- Naomi from the United States – From Receptionist to Virtual Assistant: How One Woman Ditched Corporate Life for Online Freedom
- Shayah from Canada – From Health Administrator to Virtual Assistant: How One Woman Transformed Her Passion for Wellness into an Online Business
- Veronica from Australia – From Telemedicine Manager to Virtual Assistant: How One Woman Launched an Online Business During COVID-19
- Lauren from the United States – From Teacher to Virtual Assistant: How One Woman Doubled Her Teaching Salary in under 6 Months
- Courtney from the United States – From Corporate Life To Online Freedom: How One Millennial Woman Overcame Self-Doubt And Built A Remote Empire
- Abby from England – From Retail Associate To Entrepreneur: How One Millennial Changed Careers To Launch Her Online Business
- Chynna from the United States – From Catering Sales To Business Manager: How One Female Founder Left Her 9-5 To Run A Remote Team
Ready to learn the skills and business foundation you need to start and grow a thriving online business, giving you the freedom to work from home and design your life for joy, adventure, and purpose? Check out the Bucketlist Bombshells Academy!
If you have a passion for supportive work, are ready to be your own boss, and are longing to join the remote work revolution, now is the time to start pursuing your dreams and create the lifestyle you’ve been dreaming of!
Select your services, set your target market, and start pitching clients. You’re going to be an amazing freelance virtual assistant, love! You’ve got this! 😉