7 Simple Ways to Write Captivating Website Copy
Wanna know a fact that’ll blow your mind? You’ve only got 8 seconds to use your website copy to turn your dream client from a website lurker into a paying client!
Essentially, you have the blink of an eye to grab your ideal client’s attention…
So how do you make that happen?!
With the power of captivating website copy, girl!
You need to be able to turn your words into engaging website copy that converts your ideal clients into customers as soon as they land on your site!
“But how do you write copy for your business that doesn’t sound icky and sales-y?”
When it comes to website copy, how do you:
- Find your brand voice and stay consistent with it
- Write for your specific target audience
- Write an engaging “About Me” page
- Communicate your unique value to clients
All great questions, girl!
We’re bringing in the big guns to help answer these website copy questions for you. That person is our sweet friend and copywriting guru Jamie Jensen!
Photo credit: Shannon Confair
Jamie helps business owners like yourself make BANK with brand stories that sell. Want to book more clients, boost your sales and authentically grow your brand online? Jamie’s your go-to girl!
With the help of Jamie’s copywriting expertise, let’s get into the 7 simple ways you can write captivating website copy to boost your sales!
#1 Craft a clear homepage headline
As soon as a potential customer lands on your website, they’re thinking, “What’s in it for me?!”
If a potential client can’t quickly understand what you do and how you can help them within a few seconds of landing on your website, they’re gone. *click*
“The fact is that people want to know what you can do for THEM.”
When crafting your homepage headline, ask yourself:
- What is the goal of my headline?
- Is my headline clear, concise and impactful?
- What is my “call to action”? (add a button that links to the first action you want someone to take)
Your headline needs to be on the top section of your website homepage that a viewer sees without needing to scroll.
Remember, you only have 8 seconds to grab your dream client’s attention so let’s make it count! Here’s how we accomplish this on our own website homepage:
#2 Focus your website copy on your clients…not yourself!
You might be thinking, “But wait, isn’t this MY business website?”
Yes, yes it is. However, the majority of your website copy should focus on your potential clients rather than yourself! This is a common mistake we see business owners make.
This especially goes for the website copy on your About Page!
“It might sound counterintuitive, but focusing your website copy on your clients will create a strong connection between them and your business.”
When writing your website copy focused on your clients, think about:
- Who is my client?
- What are they currently struggling with?
- What results are they trying to achieve?
- How can your business help them achieve those results?
For example, here’s the banner for our own About Page. Notice how the copy directly focuses on our clients…
#3 Define & maintain your brand voice
When you’re beginning to write website copy, you want to define your brand voice. In a nutshell, your brand voice is the way your business interacts, addresses and speaks to your audience.
When defining your brand voice, think about your brand as a person:
- Who is she?
- What does she value?
- How does she typically address people?
- What is her personality like?
Staying Consistent with Your Brand Voice
Once you’ve defined your brand voice, we recommend creating a simple Brand Voice Guide for yourself. This way, you can reference it every time you write copy for your business.
Here’s an example of how we use our brand voice in our website copy, like using the words “girl” or “chica” to address our audience…
#4 Write for your specific audience
The best way to write engaging website copy that converts into leads is by writing to your specific audience.
This means that your ideal clients should feel like you’re talking directly to them…not just a general person!
“One of the easiest ways to get to know your dream clients is by simply asking them!”
For example, when we first started our business, we asked everyone who signed up for our email list to introduce themselves! Here’s a snippet from that sassy email 😉
By utilizing this strategy, you’ll get to know your specific audience very well. You’ll know how they describe their own struggles, as well as understand how they see your business as adding value to their lives.
You can then use this positioning to craft engaging website copy for your audience!
#5 Write like you’re having a conversation
…which you are! When it comes to writing engaging website copy, you want to write like you’re having a conversation with a potential client!
This will allow your website copy to feel more natural and maintain a better flow. This is also a great writing strategy if you’re worried about your website copy sounding too “sales-y”.
Here’s an example of how we do this on our enrollment page for our Work Online & Travel the World Course while sharing our story…
And here’s another example from our Home Page where very simply ask our audience, “How can we help you?”
#6 Focus on your value & benefits
If you can’t clearly articulate the value and benefits your business has to offer your customers, then you’re going to struggle to land clients…
- What things are your potential clients currently struggling with?
- What results are they trying to achieve?
- How does your business help them achieve those results?
“When writing your website copy, your services should be painted as the solution to your client’s struggles.”
Be sure to focus on the RESULTS that they will achieve because of working with you. Here’s how we convey the results of enrolling in one of our online courses…
The results of working with you can be a combination of tangible and intangible results.
For example, maybe…
- Your client will be less overwhelmed and find more joy within their business (intangible result)
- Your client will have an increase in leads and sales via Instagram (tangible result)
#7 Get into a creative website copy writing flow
Crafting killer website copy is an art form! This means that you need to get into a creative writing flow.
This will help you avoid staring at a blank page for hours trying to get the right words (yep, been there!)
Here are 3 ways that you can get into a creative writing flow:
- Write freely, edit after (remember this is a conversation so write as if you’re talking to a potential client)
- Listen to an inspiring wordless music playlist to get in the zone
- Write your website copy in Google Docs (it auto-saves and it allows you to focus directly on your message)
- Batch your website copy content (This means doing blocking out big chunks to time to get into your creative flow and bang it out!)
Here’s an Airbnb I checked myself into for a weekend to self-host my own little writing retreat to batch content 😉
#8 Join the FREE Website Copy Workshop with Jamie!
If you’re ready to learn even more epic copywriting strategies from Jamie, then you’re in luck, girl…
Our friend and copy-writing guru is hosting a totally FREE Copywriting Workshop and you’re invited!
Inside this FREE online workshop, you’ll learn how to…
- Book your dream clients within seconds of them landing on your website
- Sell your services in a way that feels authentically you (no more icky sales talk!)
- Keep your potential clients on your website for longer; and create trust with them. (All because you have copy they can’t wait to keep reading!)
Seriously, you DO NOT want to miss out on this epic FREE copywriting training where you will learn how to get booked out with clients through your website!
For now, this is a limited time free workshop so click here to grab your spot!
Meet The Bucketlist Bombshells
Hey! We're Cassie & Shay - we're obsessed with helping millennial women build an online service-based business giving them the freedom to travel the world!
Today, we’re sitting down with BB student Alisha, Founder of S co. Creative Design! Join us...
Ready to build the serviced-based online business of your dreams to work remotely? Today, we’re giving...
We’re Cassie & Shay
– we’re obsessed with helping millennial women build an online service-based business giving them the freedom to travel the world!