A Beginner’s Guide to Starting a Killer Squarespace Web Design Biz
Work Online, Travel The World + Live Creatively
4 Essential Steps To Start An Online Business And Travel The World!
Let’s get real girl – have you ever sat in your cubie and daydreamed about starting your own web design biz so you could be your own boss and work from anywhere in the world?!
But then you thought, “Hmmm, web design seems complicated though! I’ll need to learn code and I’m so not a tech wiz!” so you push that idea to the backburner real fast…(you’re probably also sippin’ a glass of wine too if we’re being real honest!) We’ll guess what? What if I told you that:
- You’re not alone (welcome to an entire community of millennial girl bosses chasing their dreams and building killer online business – ahem, like our sweet interviewee today!)
2. You don’t need to be a coder – Say whaaat?! Yep, you heard that right. Web design has just gotten a whole lot more simple…and fun if you ask us! Keep readin’ to find out more.
Today, we’re sitting down with a serious globetrotting girl boss, Paige Brunton of The Paige Studio.
Alright, ready to get inspired chica? Click play to watch our interview with Paige below!
In This Chat:
• How Paige got started and what she does [1:00]
• Why Paige loves Squarespace over WordPress + Wix [2:50]
• Should you design a website for free if you’re just starting out? [4:25]
• How Paige self-taught herself web design [5:20]
• Do you need to learn how to code? [8:25]
• How long it took Paige to have a steady flow of clients [9:30]
• Paige’s seriously sweet 2-week web design process [12:30]
• How Paige sends client invoices [17:50]
• Should you use paid advertising to gain clients when you’re just starting out? [19:00]
• How Paige differentiates herself from other web designers [22:30]
• Budget-wise is Squarespace or WordPress better? [23:20]
• How long it took Paige to sustain a full-time income online [26:00]
• How Paige comes up with engaging topics for her blog [28:20]
• How often Paige posts a new blog post and her fave social platforms [34:25]
• How does website maintenance work for past clients? [38:10]
• How to switch from WordPress to Squarespace [40:00]
• How Paige teaches her clients how to use Squarespace [43:00]
• Paige’s fave Squarespace template [44:30]
• How Paige decided to price her web design services [49:30]
• How many hours Paige works per day [55:20]
Name: Paige Brunton
Current Location: Hanover, Germany (Paige’s hometown is Toronto, Canada!)
Business: Squarespace Website Design at The Paige Studio
3 Girl Boss Must-Haves:
1. The Calm App – I meditate daily, meditation is what turned my business around from hot mess to success, and the Calm app helps greatly with this!
My morning routine: Rise & shine, write out what I’m grateful for and my goals & priorities, followed by affirmations, a little meditation, and off to the kitchen to whip together my fav breakfast bowl. Next, a quick pretty up in the bathroom and then after that it’s off for the long commute (joking) down the hall to my home office. How do you start your day?! ???? @tinytine21
2. My Pineapple Simplified Planner – I’ve recorded every important to do and date in a planner for years, and I’m not ready to go fully digital yet, so my planner comes everywhere with me. Plus, it has gold pineapples and is adorable, so I love both using it and admiring how cute it is.
3. Background Noise – I’m such a multi tasker that my brain gets bored when it’s just doing one thing, so if I’m designing a website I always have something playing in the background. A Spotify playlist, a podcast (love The Strategy Hour and Goal Digger) a YouTube video (Sailing La Vegabond is SO great – I want their lives!), or of course, the ever classic Gilmore Girls (#TeamLogan).
Hola! I’m Paige. Wanna hear my story? Alright, alright, I’ll spill the beans. I’m a Squarespace web designer by day, a lover of color blocking, white space, clean design, and finding new creative ways to modernize all the fab websites I work on. I’m a sucker for a good @ThinkCreativeCollective Strategy Hour podcast. You’ll also find me on a never-ending online education spree, teaching myself all things business, content creation, and design. (@Skillshare is a personal fav for this!) Prior to starting my business I was a travel blogger, and while I don’t blog about travel anymore, I never gave up my love for exploring this beautiful world. I’m indeed the gal who works from her laptop while off wherever my (Canadian????????) passport takes me. After a hell of a rocky start to going full time with my business, I realized having my mind in a good place is the most important aspect to my businesses success. I’ve recently gotten into all the woo-woo, mindset, manifestation goodness, and you’ll find me meditating daily. *Ommmmm*
Connect With Paige:
FREE Video Course
Join over 10,000 aspiring location independent girl bosses who are defining their online biz ideas and designing their #dreamlife!
Meet The Bucketlist Bombshells
Hey! We're Cassie & Shay - we're obsessed with helping millennial women build an online service-based business giving them the freedom to travel the world!
We’re Cassie & Shay
– we’re obsessed with helping millennial women build an online service-based business giving them the freedom to travel the world!
3 Steps To Build A Wildly Successful Service-Based Online Business
Pin this for later
WHAT Type of ONLINE BUSINESS IS RIGHT FOR ME?
Our Fave Business Tools
Our life-changing online project management system, to efficiently and effectively manage your projects, tasks and deadlines. Once you sign up, you’ll never look back!
Moo is our go-to online printing & design resource for all of our girl boss biz needs — from business cards to postcards, stickers and more!
Build your own beautiful website with our favorite drag-and-drop website builder – their incredible support team is there to help you every step of the way!